Sunday, September 16, 2007

38 cents

Yahoo! Avatars

Those grapes rung up at $1.88/lb. I know the sign said $1.50/lb. who cares about 38 cents anyway? Me! In my former life, I would have let it go and paid the difference. Even though I used to work at Wal-Mart, (my favorite store) so I know how screwed up the signs can be!
The grapes were the last items that she rung up. It was like a slow motion action scene. My eyes widened as I saw $4.23, flash across the computer screen. You would have thought it said, $423.00. I calmly stated, "the sign says 1.50/lb, not 1.88/lb. If that is what they are ringing, I don't want them." The cashier non chalantly said, "they are 1.88/lb," without checking anything! I don't know what made me think that she would care. The couple in front of me forgot to pay for an eye glass case that the husband was holding in his hand and they admitted it. you would have thought the cashier was personally insulted by the way she rolled her eyes at them. She apparently had a problem with honesty, like so many people do.
Well, I did not want the people in line to gang up on me and it was starting to grow by the minute. I backed down and had her take them off of my ticket. My total bill came to $7.15! This is when I realized two very important things.
1. I am finally at the point where I am sticking to a very tight budget
2. I am so broke!
Anyone who sends back grapes over a 38 cent difference is crazy right? Now my mind starts replaying all of the events in my life that led me up to this point. Starting with the most recent decision of putting my boyfriend out, paying his mother's cell phone bill, sharing a car for years, and indebting myself to the IRS. On top of this, running up credit cards, and spending money with no rhyme or reason.
I don't feel ashamed one bit to put this out there. I have nothing to hide. Even as I write this, I know that people will judge me for my past actions. Oh well! For me, this is opening up a door to success. In fact, I am proud of myself. I figure, hey, maybe it can help whoever is reading it. This little 38 cents revelation opened up a wound to a lot of memories that I wish could be erased. In the past, these little annoying things called tears would have welled up and rolled down my cheeks, or shame would have kept me from speaking about it. On my drive home, from the store, I realized that I have two choices.
I can wallow in my own filthy misery, or I can make an instant change. I choose the latter. Thank you to the cashier at Wal-Mart for this revelation! I'll come back through one day when I have an extra 38 cents:)!

1 comment:

Bliss said...

We can't make any changes in our lives until we realize the need to do so. You're on your way girl. The road can be long but stick to it. You'll learn a lot about yourself along the way and it's all for you, not anyone else.

I'm proud of you for giving them their grapes back. I was in the store the other day and the sign said 5/$5 for chips. I got to the register and they rang up at $2.50 a bag!

Um, hellllloooooooo! I am so NOT paying an extra $1.50 a bag when the sign says $1.00.

I told the cashier (an older woman) that I didn't want the chips if they weren't $1.00 a bag. She had the manager do an override and refund the difference. :-)

Yeah, I know I didn't need 5 bags of chips. But they were reduced fat and salt free and I gave 2 bags to my aunt. '-)