Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Right to Water?

Yahoo! Avatars

On my quest this morning to find an appropriate activity for International Children's Day, I came across an interesting article. First let me explain "International Children's Day." A day started by the United Nations to "promote ideas and the charter of welfare for chldren around the world."
http://www.un.org/depts/dhl/children_day/

My objective for the month of November, is to conduct a program for the library that will integrate these ideals...I ran across an article while searching through Google. It is basically an article discussing whether or not "the right to water" is recognized as basic human right! Some places do not believe this to be the case.

In my ignorance, I just assumed that water was something that was a given. Who would question the fact that as a human, we need clean water to survive! Recognizing clean water as a human right would put an obligation on some international governments to provide it!
Check out the article further if you are interested..
http://www.unac.org/en/library/unacresearch/2007RightToWater_e.pdf

The next time you turn your faucet on to sip on that cool drink of water, think about the people in the world who do not have a faucet.
The next time you complain about the funny taste of the water from the sink, think about the children who don't have a toilet.
The next time you complain about your water not getting hot, think about the mothers who can't bathe thier babies.
Do we have a right to water.....

1 comment:

Bliss said...

I know this post says "November" but how timely, while we're in the midst of water restrictions in our county.

They're asking us to restrict our usage and I agree that we all should do our part. But I think our government is setting a bad example. I've seen fountains and water falls running in public places and there are news reports of water leaks all over town and nothing is being done.

If our water supply becomes severely limited, what will we do?

What will we do when WE can't bathe OUR babies, when OUR toilets will no longer flush, when OUR faucets are dry?

Scary but possible...