Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My Run

When I came in last during that race in the eight grade you could not have paid me to step foot on the track again or compete in any sport that required me to put in all the effort and all the attention was focused on me for those few seconds. Sure, playing volleyball was great, and basketball was fun because we had to win together. Fifteen years later....here I am, trying to become a runner.

Whether it be due to a lack of confidence or ridicuous need to compare myself to others, I never attempted to run again. Now, at the age of 28, I feel like it is something I can do but it is so difficult. I think that trying to run is one of the most hardest things I have ever done. When I step on the trail, I am alone. The physical pain and the mental confidence that is required of a runner is definitely a skill that must be learned. But for some reason, I can't quit. Some days are good while others are not so good. But each day that rolls around, when it is time for me to run....I get up and go.

Maybe it is because I committed to running a 5k which I could easily bail out on. I don't know what it is but I know I am not going to give up. For some reason I think this is life's little way of teaching me more patience and strength (mental/physical). Whatever it may be, I know that I am on a run, on a path to great things.

No comments: